Experience Egg Harbor’s history for yourself by taking a walking tour of the village. While we do provide a limited number of guided tours of historic sites at special events throughout the year, we don’t have a regular schedule of guided tours. However, we have created a couple of helpful brochures to guide you on your own tour of the village, with information on the unique characteristics and historic significance of village buildings and places.
Click on the link below to follow along on Google Maps:
Or download a guide:
Village of Egg Harbor Self-guided Historic Walking Tour
Harbor View Park
Was Harvey Haen’s Mobil Gas Station, Home, and Barber Shop
Your walking tour begins at the intersection of Hwy 42 & G at Harbor View Park.
The Wilson Grocery Store (1910) once stood here, with Harvey Haen’s Mobil Gas Station next door to the north, and Haen’s home and barber shop to the south.
In 1977 the village purchased the Wilson Grocery Store and demolished it for the first phase of the park. In 2001 the village purchased Harvey Haen’s home and closed off the street to the village dock, which was once a steep hill that met HWY 42 to the left of the current Harbor View Park sign.
The village also purchased the Robert L. Pence Art Gallery (which was Harvey Haen’s Mobil Station) to complete the park. The park could very well have overlooked a happening from 1825 where voyageurs from Fort Howard were traveling north to Mackinac Island to trade in their furs. Lawyer Henry Baird and his wife were traveling with them and reported that when they stopped to camp overnight in the unnamed harbor the voyageurs proceeded in jest to have an egg fight, thus the harbor was named Egg Harbor. Harbor View Park is home to several festivals and free Thursday evening concerts.
Door County Confectionery and Schoolhouse Cheese
Was Fred Hanson’s home and store
7813 Hwy 42
In February, 1901 this property was sold by H.F. and Emma Eames to Fred and Annie Hanson. They built a house and store in 1902. Known family owners throughout the years were Meyer, Columb, Oscar Kohlmann, Lee Adams, Helen Olson, Brown, Smits, Cheryl Crowe, and Fitzgerald. In addition to living quarters, businesses have included a meat market, beauty salon operated by Eldon Robertoy, a restaurant, gift shops and bakery.
Greens ‘N’ Grains
Was Theodore Baraboo’s Hardware
#7821 Hwy 42
In 1911 Theodore Baraboo built a hardware store on land he acquired from H.F. and Emma Eames for $200. Francis Bogenschutz, Myles LeRoy, Gordon Nelson and Herman Reuters continued to operate the hardware store until 1965. The Engersons sold to John and Jessie Burkhardt in 1972 for an antique shop. In 1989, Kathleen Navis purchased the property and opened Door County’s first and only full-service natural food store.
Was Truman Thorp’s home
7829 Hwy 42
Truman Thorp’s home was built in 1895. Truman was the son of Levi Thorp, a founder of Egg Harbor. Other owners have been C.A. Speaker, E. Gagnon, and Otto Woldt who had a meat market in the home in 1921. Francis Bogenschutz had an electrician shop here in the 40s and 50s. The building also housed a sport shop.
Restaurants and gift shops have been recent businesses. Roy and Teri Bak purchased the building from a seasonal resident and remodeled it into the Parador. Larry and Rebecca Majewski now run the Parador. The original property was issued and registered by U.S. President James Buchanan on Dec.28, 1859.
History facts: During the late 1800s and early 1900s Egg Harbor had farms and orchards owned by four different doctors; Doctors Graham, Proctor, Eames and Schroeder.
Alpine Resort Rental & Winter Office
Was Paul Bertschinger’s home
7843 Hwy 42
Built in 1931 with the exterior stone coming from the basement excavation. Believed to have had the first boiler and hot water system in the village. Paul, with his brother John, built the Alpine Resort in 1922. The house now serves as a summer rental and the winter offices for the Alpine Resort.
Casey’s BBQ & Smokehouse
Was Uncle Jerry’s
7855 Hwy 42
Built by Antone Rushford about 1870, then purchased by Gideon (Jerry) LeMieux (LeMere) in 1889. (Gideon changed his name to Jerry LeMere) The tavern was destroyed by fire in 1897 and Jerry rebuilt it with his sons Phillip, Jerry and Frank. It became known as Uncle Jerry’s place where dances and socials were held in the dance hall on the second floor.
In 1938, August “Casey” and Lelia Lautenbach purchased the tavern and changed the dance hall to 4 rental rooms at $2/night. Casey’s sons, Donald and Lester continued operation until 1987. Bob Manson purchased it and sold to Matt Peterson in 2008, it has been “Casey’s” since 1938. Bob Hope was a patron of note.
Was Philip LeMere’s home
7859 Hwy 42
Built by Philip LeMere in 1923. The fine stonework on the front was completed in 1935 as a lower section of an open front porch. The stones were gathered from beaches as far away as Sister Bay. The designs were formed flat on the ground and when fully cured they were stood up in place and supported with a cement cap and corner posts. Philip’s daughter, Celestia Moegenburg, passed away in 1989 and the home was sold to Tony Demarinis who enclosed the porch and reconstructed the original stone work.
Cappaert Contemporary Gallery
Was August Paschke’s home
7901 Hwy 42
In 1910 H.F. Eames built the log home on land that was part of his estate. It was later sold to August Paschke in 1942 and remained in their family for 34 years. It was sold to Robert Costa in 1976 and then to Robert Serge and Nancy Goodman in 1984.
In 1993 Kathleen (Gleason) Mand Beck purchased the historic log home. Siding and wall materials were removed to expose the original log structure. She made it into the Dovetail Gallery, named for the dovetail log construction. A log in one of the walls is supposedly salvaged from the 1871 Peshtigo Fire, the most devastating fire in U.S. History. Peshtigo is located 18 miles directly across the bay. The fire consumed 1.5 million acres of forest and over 2,500 lives.
History facts: In the winter of 1856 about 50 lumberjacks and mill hands from the Bradley and Crandall sawmill in Sturgeon Bay, out of desperation, in 3 weeks cut through the first road to Egg Harbor to secure their provisions iced in at the Egg Harbor dock.
History facts: On a Wednesday afternoon at 3:00pm in February of 1932, 62 federal agents simultaneously raided Door County’s “soft drink parlors” and arrested 26, including 3 from Egg Harbor. was ‘prohibition’.
Cross highway 42 and head north.
Was William Manney’s home
7904 Hwy 42
The land grant for this property was signed by President James Buchanan in 1857. The Manney house was built in 1874 as a log structure, since sided over. The wrap-around porch was added as a gift from William Manney to his wife Anna. Dances were often held in the big dining room. The homestead was farmed, it went from ‘Wood Orchard Market’ to the Eames Farm hill, down to the bay. It was gradually sold off. Mrs. Rose Manney Wilson later owned the house, she sold it in 1967. The Browning family now owns the property.
Calvary Methodist Chapel
Was the Evangelical Church
7916 Hwy 42
Mrs. Anna Manney gave the land to build the church in 1912. According to the deed it was established under the name of Egg Harbor Union Society. The church was started in 1912 and opened for services in 1924 as Calvary, World War I had held up the construction. In 1963 the congregation broke ground for a new United Methodist Church located around the corner on Cty. E. Old Calvary is now a chapel used just occasionally.
Turn around at the Chapel and walk back south into the village along the east side of the highway.
The condominiums on the ridge to the east are on the property that was Dr. H.F. Eames home, ‘LaVista’, and his large orchards and dairy farm that covered much of the village during the late 1800s, early 1900s.
Was Dr. Eames’ home – “LaVista”
7836 Hwy 42
Dr. Eames built his “LaVista” in 1907 on the ridge east of the village as his home for his dairy farm and orchards. Moving to the area from Canada in the 1880s, Dr. Eames became one of the top physicians in Door County. He accumulated 400 acres of land in the immediate area of the village. Dr. Eames died in the mid 1930s. His son Spencer and wife made it their home after his death. The home was moved from the farm to this location in 1993 by Gloria and Richard Hansen of the Cupola House.
Cupola House Gallery
Was Levi Thorp’s home
7836 Hwy 42
Levi and his brothers Asa and Jacob purchased 1600 acres in the area for the purpose of harvesting the forest products. Levi built his home in 1871 with monies made during the ‘Gold Rush’ of 1849. It has been the best example of Gothic Revival architecture in Door County.
Named the ‘Cupola House’ because of its distinct cupola, the cupola is surrounded by a ‘widows walk’. In 1907 Charles Cady traded his farm in Oconto for the Cupola House. Other past owners include: Rocky and Everett Fairchild, Dorothy and Therman Deerwester, and Adele Carley-Hake. Gloria and Richard Hansen purchased it in 1980 and refurbished it into the Cupola House Gallery.
History facts: In 1964 the residents of the village over a dispute with the Township voted to secede from the Township of Egg Harbor, 78 voted for and 1 against incorporation into the Village of Egg Harbor. The dispute was alleged over a street light.
Was Phoebe Carmody’s Variety Store
7818 Hwy 42
After owning the Harbor Inn with her husband ‘Jack’ from 1912 to when he died in 1931, Phoebe built the store and living quarters on land purchased from Charles and Ethel Cady in 1938. Phoebe had the only soda fountain in the village. The store was later owned by Earl and Louise Albrecht from 1948-59, and Elva and Henry Gilson from 1959- 83. Amongst other wares, the store most recently sold leather products before becoming Double Delites.
Fat Louie’s Olive Oil, Nature Works and Designworks
Was John Bertschinger’s home, lumber yard and feed mill
7810-7812 & 7798 Hwy 42
After becoming disenchanted with the saloon business at the Harbor Inn, John sold it in 1912 and purchased the home of Dr. Eames across the highway, built in 1906. John developed a successful lumber and feed business with his sons Arthur and Wilbur. He also operated the Minnie R. and Belle Culvert, two boats transporting supplies to and from Marinette and Menominee, MI.
In 1922, with his brother Paul, John built the Alpine Resort. The lumber mill operated until 1962, when it was purchased by Helen and Harold Dannhausen and developed into Stage Coach Junction shops. The building housed Egg Harbor’s first library until the present community center was constructed.
The barns are now Nature Works. John’s home and lumber yard office and paint shop is now Fat Louie’s Olive Oil. The feed mill later became the Granary Shops and is now Designworks.
Chips World and Crickets
Was Herman Birnschein’s Garage
7792 Hwy 42
Herman Birnschein built his garage in 1931 with Old English architecture using some great stone work. It was called Birnschein’s Point Beach Service Station. The garage had a show room for new Chevrolets and 3 repair-service work bays. Herman sold around 50 new cars and 100,000 gallons of gas per year, plus Caterpillars, radios, bicycles as well as snacks at his counter. He sold Standard Oil products and Goodyear tires. The garage was the hub of the village, a stop for the Lake and Bay View Bus Line. It was sold to Harry Nell in 1965 and then to the Mueller’s in 1968.
Was the LaPlant House, also known as the Concord Hotel
7778 Hwy 42
Mitchel and his half-brother Anthony LaPlant started running their pioneer hostelry around 1880. Levi Baraboo purchased it in 1889. The LaPlant House was destroyed by fire in 1898, Levi immediately rebuilt and it was named the Concord Hotel.
Levi’s son Theodore took over in 1907 and sold to Authur Parent in 1911 for $8,000. Numerous proprietors ran the Concord after Parent. Paddy Grey, known for his Irish Setter dog and race horse ‘Goldie May’ was one. Murphy Moore named it The White House.
It was later operated by Sylvester Thiel and Ken Herbst. Ken added a barber shop. Bob Delain and Wendell Vandertie also barbered there. Bob and Jean Sawyer named it the Midtown Tap. Tony and Sharon Demarinis named it Old Stage Station. Rick and Pam Grant had it for 15 years. It is now owned by Kim Jensen.
Was Tom Carmody’s home
7746 Hwy 42
Tom built his home in 1905. He was best known for his road building abilities. He was also the Door County Highway Commissioner which may have been the reason the road through the village was one of the first paved in Door County.
Was Norman Kabat’s Shell Gas Station
7730 Hwy 42
The station was built by Norman (Bud) Kabat in 1949. Herman Forey laid the blocks and Bittorfs did the carpentry. The building was owned by Shell and several people ran the station after Kabat, namely: Lloyd Logerquist; Appel, Clark, August and Roger Paschke; Ranney and Roggenkamp, Strege and Feldt. In recent years it has housed numerous shops.
St. John the Baptist Catholic Church and Rectory
7710 Hwy 42
St. John the Baptist Catholic Church was dedicated on October 5, 1910 and the bell tower was finished a year later. Land was donated by Charles and Delia LaRouche. It is believed it cost $2000 to build. Families pledged either labor or $100 to build the church.
The adjoining Rectory was completed in 1918. Renovation of the church interior was done in 1973 to implement Vatican II changes and redecorating was again done in 1992. The shrine in honor of the Blessed Mother was donated by Felix and Julie Milfeld in 1964. The church is now of the Stella Maris Parish which includes northern Door Catholic Churches.
CAREFULLY cross the highway
Was the Old Town Hall
7681 Hwy 42
The original town hall built in the 1880s burned and rebuilt immediately by Jerry LeMere. It was used for elections, social gatherings and as a protestant church before the Union (Calvary) Church was built. Annual town meetings made this the center for lively discussions between town and village residents which eventually led to Village incorporation in 1964. Movies were shown during World War II and into the late 40s and early 50s. There were teen “sock hops” in the 50s and 60s. Heat was upgraded, but there was never plumbing. The restrooms were in the ‘outhouse’. This building was used as the town hall until October of 1990, and has housed Patricia Shoppe since 2005.
Was once the Welcome Inn
7755 Hwy 42
In the late 1800s Michel Shack operated a saloon and bowling alley on the site, it burned in 1897. Jerry LeMere built ‘Welcome Inn’ on the site in 1908. Art Parent dealt in farm implements at the site from 1916-1920s. Myles and Ceil LeRoy ran the saloon and dance hall as ‘Forest Gardens’. Myles and his father bootlegged from the basement during prohibition. Guy Cromell and Elroy MacCampbell were also involved.
Carl Demmin operated it as the ‘Farmer’s Inn’ from 1945-1947. August Anschutz ran ‘Augie’s’ from 1947-56. Clarence Tracy ran ‘Tracy’s Tap’ from 1956-63. From 1963-1970s, Frank Hoffman ran the business as ‘George’s Anchor Inn’. Headquartered at the Inn, in 1969 he raised the ‘Mystery Ship’ off of Chambers Island. Nicholas Zivalich ran the business as the ‘3-C’s’. Later, Carol Tanck leased the ‘3 C’s ‘from Zivalich. In the mid-1990s Don Swanson added the wings to the back of the building. In late 2006 Richard and Pamela Wegner purchased the building and remodeled as it is now.
Maxwell’s and Jane’s
Was the Charles LaRouche General Store
7763 & 7765 Hwy 42
LaRouche constructed the building in 1885. Lester Olson rented it until Marvin Trodahl purchased it and opened as an IGA Store. The post office was in the north end of the store. Marvin built a small building to the north for the post office in 1954. After Marvin sold in the 60s, others who did business there were: Frank Schneider, Gene and Helen Standard, Art Witalison, Ed Pils, and now Shawn and Karen Peterson and Jane Lautenbach.
Christine’s Casuals and Classics
Was William Fischer’s home
7783 Hwy 42
This house was built in 1898 and was owned by William and Tena Fischer and later their son Freeman. William and sons, Edwin and Freeman were well drillers. In the early years there was a blacksmith shop where the garage now stands. The blacksmiths were Joe Worachek and Henry Meyers. It has been Christine’s since 1981.
Was the Kewaunee House
7791 Hwy 42
Built in 1882 by George Barringer and named the Kewaunee House when run by John and Mary Worachek from Slovan in Kewaunee County. Fred and Joseph Burdo owned it in 1898 and Ed Fiedler in 1901. In 1904 John and Anna Bertschinger purchased it and expanded the saloon adding hotel rooms and a dining room. A meal and a room cost 20 cents each.
John ‘Jack’ and Phoebe Carmody bought it in 1912 and changed the name to Harbor Inn. Olive and Arthur Parent purchased it in 1931. In 1945 it was sold to Verna and Maurice ‘Murphy’ Moore and operated as Murphy Moore’s Harbor Inn until 1975. The Thimbleberry Inn, Blue Iris and Harbor Point Inn preceded the present Shipwrecked.
You’re back at the start. A few other sites are located off “main street”. They can be walked to if you are interested. On Hwy 42 to the south starting with the 1861 town and village cemetery there are four sites.
Egg Harbor Town and Village Cemetery
7644 Hwy 42
The first recorded burial in the cemetery was that of little one year old Eli Baker in 1861.
Carefully cross Hwy 42
Was Ed Kabat’s Home
7663 Hwy 42
Built by Ed Kabat in 1938 of ‘hard head’ stones collected in the area. The stones were dropped by the ice age glacier.
Angela Lensch Gallery
Was Adolph Polzien’s Home
7653 Hwy 42
This home was built in 1926 by Adolph Polzien from logs salvaged from a granary building in Fish Creek.
Chief Oshkosh Native American Arts
Was Chief Roy Oshkosh’s Trading Post
7631 Hwy 42
Roy Oshkosh became chief of the Menominee Indians in 1932 upon the death of his father, Chief Reginald.Born in 1898, Roy died in 1974, the last to serve as Chief of the Menominee. Oshkosh was a graduate of Carlisle College with an engineering degree and was recruited to work the ship yards in Sturgeon Bay during World War II. After the war he and his wife, Princess Ruth, built his trading post in Egg Harbor in 1945 “where a stream appears and does not reappear.” Roy and Ruth are buried in the Egg Harbor Cemetary across the highway.
A hike down Horseshoe Bay Rd. (Cty. G) will take you to three off ”main street” historic sites and a trip to the village beach.
Chocolate Chicken and Harbor View Grill
Was Charlie Birnschein’s Garage
7821 Horseshoe Bay Rd.
Charlie Birnschein opened his garage in 1919 and operated it until 1927 when his brother Herman bought him out. The garage burned in 1947, Herman rebuilt and along with his gas station across the highway he continued the garage and gas station businesses until selling in 1965.
Was Joe Worachek’s Meat Market
7806 Horseshoe Bay Rd.
Worachek’s Meats and Sausage Co. announced its opening in 1934. It was constructed of stone cement blocks with decorative glacier ‘hard head’ stones on the front. An attached smoke house is still located in the back. It later served as a blacksmith shop and hardware store.
Alpine Resort and Golf Course
7715 Horseshoe Bay Rd.
Alpine Resort and Golf Course was built in 1922 and has continued operation under the same name and ownership by the Bertschinger family since it opened.
It was Door County’s largest resort when it was built by brothers Paul and John Bertschinger. It opened in 1922 with a main lodge, 20 cottages, and several service buildings that were expanded upon over the years. One of the firsts at that time were indoor plumbing. Refrigeration was by means of an ice house with ice harvested from the bay during winter months. A 9 hole golf course was created in 1926 and additional 9’s were added in 1948, 1976, and 2002.